The Annual Linda’s Walk began in 2010 and is the largest fund raiser supporting St. Clare Inn, a transitional housing program helping homeless women with mental health challenges rebuild their lives. These homeless women (aged 30-60) find community, care, shelter, and support in their healing journey. The walk is named in honor of Linda Houston, who suffered from paranoid schizophrenia and who died of a heart attack, alone and homeless, in 1997. The people and the friars of the Franciscan Church of St. Bonaventure, who often helped her out with some money and food, were moved by her tragic life circumstance and her resulting death. In 2007, St. Clare Inn was established by the Friends of Saint Francis, a group of dedicated professional lay men and women, along with our area friars. St. Clare Inn’s also holds an Annual Soirée. This past April, 230 people were on hand to join the celebration of St. Clare Inn’s 10th anniversary.
In its 8th year, Linda’s Walk 2017, an easy 5k walk through their neighborhood that is more of a fun get together than a physical labor. Last year’s walk raised over $45,000 for St. Clare Inn and we hope that this year’s walk will be even more successful.
- Saturday, August 19, 2017
- 8:00 am Registration at St. Bonaventure Church (Please Pre-Register)
- 9:00 am Walk Begins (Warm Up with Fitness Trainer)
- 10:00 am -11:00 am Walk Ends at St. Bonaventure Church
- 12:00 pm Complimentary BBQ at St Bonaventure Church, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- All funds raised will support the work of St. Clare Inn.