Lumen Orientale

15235498_1237333749656448_8572544031361241927_oIn the center of Rome, you will find the Friary of the Twelve Holy Apostles, home to our Order’s General Curia, adjacent to the Basilica Santi Apostoli. The Basilica of the Holy Apostles is also known as the Roman Apostoleion, is the most “eastern” of Rome’s basilicas. In 1463, Pope Pius II Piccolomini donated the Basilica to we 1st Order Franciscans, part of the Franciscan family of the Order of Friars Minor called “of the community” or “Conventual” (OFM Conv.). The friary is owned by the Vatican, while the Basilica belongs to the Italian State and is under the care of our friars living there. Included among them is our Minister General, Friar Marco Tasca, OFM Conv.
The Basilica was founded upon the relics of the Apostles Philip and James the Lesser.  Philip evangelized Phrygia, in Turkey.  James, also called the “Brother of the Lord,” was the Bishop of Jerusalem.
In celebration of the traditional novena to the Immaculate Conception known as “Lumen Orientale” or “Light of the East,” on 2nd of December, 2016, the Basilica was filled with many Roman Catholic faithful as well as those of the Eastern Rite. Five eastern-rite bishops and over one hundred and twenty priests celebrated a Mass presided over by His Eminence Leonardo Cardinal Sandri, Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches. Read More